Tuesday, March 29, 2005

IN FLUX...

I am sort of at a loss as to what images to post today... The Marion book is sort of in limbo while I try to finish a silly job for a PARTICULARLY high maintenance client. She's nice enough but she's not paying me much and she is expecting me to jump through all sorts of hoops for her. On top of that, her comments are kind of frustrating. I am working on a series of pinup illustrations which are hard enough and she is giving me notes like "I want them to look less illustrated and more drawn." I'm not making that up. In all my years working with a variety of clients, that has to be the most head scratching note I've ever gotten. LESS ILLUSTRATED, MORE DRAWN...

I am not able to post any images from this job because I am bound by contract. What I can tell you is that I was given, like, a ton of reference material from Vargas to Leyendecker (all of whom have their own distinct style) and told basically to match that style. Well, that's fine but some of the artists use an outlined, airbrushed technique while others have a nice, textured/painterly look. Also, while one artist might stylize the women, others do not. Most of the sketches I have done have been sort of middle of the road--none of which has she liked. If they don't look too muscular, they're too skinny--or they look like cartoons which she HATES!!!

Honestly, I am about to lose my mind. Women are especially hard for me since everyone has their own idea as to what an attractive women is and, generally, they know what they like when they see it. Unfortunately, I don't have all day to do eighty pinups for this woman to shop through. Women are also difficult in that, well, I just don't have as much confidence in my abilities when I'm doing something strictly realistic. What to do?

I really want to bag all of this stuff and get back to the Revolution...

3 comments:

Karen Winters said...

Clients that give unclear or contradictory directions are frustrating as hell. Can you select three or four of the reference pictures that you think most closely match what she's looking for and then say "pick one?" It's unfair to make someone be a mind-reader. And I have no idea what they mean by "more drawn" and "less illustrated" unless they mean to make it less painterly and more like a sketch. Maybe ask her what the word "illustrated" means to her. Maybe it means "painted." Maybe "drawn" means "an ink line that gets thick and thin." Her terms are too vague in the huge world of art styles. Nice bloom, by the way - I really like it.

Jared Chapman said...

I've always heard that the less pay involved, the more controling the client is. That sounds like it's the case here. My solution to the problem: banging one's head against a wall... preferably a hard one, such as concrete or steel. ;)

Your current illustrations are looking great, James. I always get such an inspired kick out of seeing them.

James Palmer said...

Karen: Thanks so much for the comment... You're absolutely right, it IS frustrating. I will take your suggestions to heart and try to get her to zero in... So far, it's been to no avail.

Hyacinth: Your suspicion is probably correct... Shhhhh!

Jared: All the walls in my house are sheetrock--but the driveway is concrete. That's a possibility!

Thanks for the comments guys!