Wednesday, March 30, 2005

CHEROKEE

Here is a color study that I whipped up of a Cherokee warrior. It's a fast, speed-rendering I did to try out some different color schemes. During the French and Indian War, Francis Marion fought with what was probably the provincial militia against the Cherokee indians. The Cherokee were imbedded deep in the back country--mainly in the northwest or Piedmont region of South Carolina. Clemson University is perfectly situated in what would have been the heart of Cherokee country during the eighteenth century--right where the Blue Ridge mountains "yawn their greatness..." In fact, Fort Hill was the site of Fort Prince George, I believe. Fort Hill looks down on the East end zone of Death Valley, which in the eighteenth century would have been prime real estate...
This is a depiction of Francis Marion and some of his men fighting some Cherokee. During the war, Marion led a small detachment (possibly around 32 men) of militia against the Cherokee. During the engagement, all but 8 men were lost in what must have been a bloody battle. Of course, the irony in all of this is that many of the men who, at the time, were fighting for England and the colonies, had, until recently, lived in harmony with the Cherokee. Marion, in particular, was said to have counted among his friends several Cherokee Indians... I am not positive that this was the case as I am not sure how many Cherokee were living and working openly in the Pee Dee region of South Carolina at the time. Who knows? Anybody have any ideas out there? Please do let me know.

5 comments:

katesalleypalmer said...

James, as your mother, I love all the art you do, of course. Especially awesome is the control you have found in the computer rendering. That, and the incredible amount of research you do to get that extra degree of authenticity in your work.
Two things I'd like to address here: one, every male artist I know--especially the cartoonists--have a tough time drawing women. Don't try so hard to make them attractive. We KNOW we don't all look like Miss America. Men hang around with real women all day long, but when it comes to drawing them, men resort to dolling us up like Barbies. Real women are not all hair, makeup and clothes. Women are just like men. (If you're drawing Gertrude Stein, make her look like a man, for God's sake.)
A lot of the old Disney artists modeled their characters after movie stars of the day--Audrey Hepburn was a favorite of theirs.
Two. I hope your "client" does not have access to your blog. You might better think about it, if you know what I mean.
C. Death Valley Real estate is still prime. And getting primer. Just ask anyone whose season tickets have gone up the price of an IPTAY membership per year.
I have just printed out my 106-page user's manual for Corel Painter. Now I gotta read some of it before I make a complete mess. At least I won't get the paint all over the floor and my clothes. You and Daddy are really getting some good work done on the Marion book. Love your pencil sketches, too. Details like that might look good in the book.
Great work!
Love you--
Mama

Jared Chapman said...

Beautiful James! I'm always amazed by your work, but sometimes I just stay and ask myself "How did he do that?".
This is one of those times. Great job man!

Anonymous said...

James, I like the picture of the Cherokee. I think the picture of Francis Marion and the militia fighting the Cherokee should be in the book, because of that experience in forging FM's later guerilla tactics, don't you think.
Dad

Anonymous said...

I like the Cherokee picture. Don't you think the pic of FM fighting the Cherokee should be in the book, since it shows how FM learned early the value of guerilla tactics? DAD

Nosey said...

I nice blog I have one too Horse racing tips galorefrench horse racing