Monday, May 09, 2005

QUICK SKETCH

Here is a quick sketch I did of Russell Crowe from MASTER AND COMMANDER... I took a screen capture from the film and then sketched using the screen grab as a reference. The whole thing took me about an hour. I am pretty happy with it--for an hour's work, it's not bad. Practice makes, well, not perfect, but better...

I have real issues with color theory. Since I never went to art school, I have had to teach myself color theory through trial and error. The cool thing about this is that it really is like painting with oils--building up layers upon layers of color. Skin tones are especially difficult. Check out this skin tone tutorial. It's a great place to start. Ron Lemen has some great tutorials on this site and it's definitly worth a look.

Anyway, let me know what you all think of this...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really a good likeness and the colors are terrific. The only thing I'd like to see different is some work on his hairline. The skin looks a little like a mask painted over the hair. What kind of Photoshop brush preset are you using? It really has an oil look to it.