Sunday, January 10, 2010

NEW PIECE: COLOR COMP


This is a new piece I am about to start on. It was born out of many of doodles done at preschool board meetings where I serve as the health and safety chair. Let's just say they can run a little long. Anyway, I have been pushing this idea around in my head for a while--even from about four years ago when I did an illustration of a little bot looking at an ant. I don't know why, but I am fascinated by the story possibilities involving tiny robots and insects.

My plan is to render the final image in guache/watercolors. We'll see what happens. Currently, it is way too bleedin' cold to even be in my studio so I am moving the whole painting operation inside. It's funny, I think I have been crutching on digital software to create these images lately. Why? Because it's 1. Faster 2. Easier to make changes. 3. Cheaper 4. Easier to publish. Still, I have seen some illustrators get some fantastic results from combining wet media and digital media. Again, we'll see. I am interested to see the results myself.

No comments: