Tuesday, April 05, 2005

CHANNELING WYETH AND PYLE

Here is an illustration depicting Marion and some of his men fighting Cherokee during the French and Indian War. It's not finished--I still have to add some furious Cherokee warriors and other elements... I'm pretty pleased so far. It's very definitely reflecting my love of N.C. Wyeth's work. I have been pouring over his work for inspiration. His style--loose and painterly, is something that I think works for this subject matter. His illustrations for LAST OF THE MOHICHANS and others are forever in my head. Howard Pyle's work is also a great source of inspiration for me. His painting, entitled The Nation Makers is a wonderful example of the style I am after.


I want to keep everything as exciting as possible without making it too over-the-top-violent. Y'all let me know what you think!!

1 comment:

Whitney G said...

Wow thats your art! I have a art blog at
http://Whitneysdrawings.blogspot.com
Thats better then my art! LOL I also like the sunflower pic you made.

Come pop into my site if ya want. I'm 16 goin on 17 April 8th. I stopped drawing for a while but now I'm getting my skills back.

God Bless!